Here’s a sample of some useful resources to assist in planning for young people to transition to independence. If you or someone you know has already left care and needing support please contact Next Step Plus.
For more information on T2A month, check out our Information Letter.
Please share and print this T2A poster for young people.
Are you looking to facilitate an online event for T2A month? Check out these simple, creative online activities to empower young people on their T2A journey.
If you’re planning for leaving care:
This app will help with all the things you need to cross off before you leave care. Click here for more information or go here to download the app. To celebrate T2A month, Sortli is running a competition for you to go into the draw to win $200! Find out more here.
CREATE have an awesome booklet ‘Go Your Own Way’ – download a copy here and find the information relevant for your State or Territory.
- Click here for a document that can assist you in letting the adults in your life know what you want in your plan.
- Having issues? Check out this form for a complaint form designed by a young person.
- Need some inspiration from other young people who’ve left care? Check out ‘Standing on Our Own Two Feet.’
- A guide for workers on helping young people to transition to independence – download here.
- Need to know where to start for transitioning to independence? Check out this checklist.
- Want an idea on what can go in your T2A plan? Check out a planning template here.
- Need a bit more support to make a complaint or have an issue resolved? Contact the Office of the Public Guardian on 1800 661 533 or head to Legal Aid’s website for more information.
Scholarships and Education Support
Forde Foundation offer scholarships and grants in education, employment, health and wellness. Click here to check eligibility.
Click here for information about the ‘Tenancy Skills Program’.
If you’re looking for support after leaving care:
Here’s a form on TILA on some money that young people who have been in care can access.
Next Step Plus supports young people (ages 15-25) as they transition from care into adulthood. For support or information please visit: www.nextstepplus.com.au
Need some guidance on where to next? Check out ‘Out of care and onto further education, training and work.’
Thinking of reconnecting with your birth family? Here’s a one page flyer written by young people.
- Check out YHARS for information and eligibility regarding housing, funding and support.
- For information about accessing your ‘Time in Care’ info go here.
- For mental health support check out Headspace.
Transitioning from Care – Hearing from Young People
CREATE Foundation launched a podcast – Voices in Action – to provide a platform for young people with a care experience to talk about issues important to them. One of the issues discussed in depth is transitioning from care. Check it out on your podcast app or go here to learn more.
We’ve also put together a report after speaking to young people about their thoughts on extending care to 21. You can download the report here.
If there’s something else you’re looking for and can’t find it here, then contact CREATE on 07 3317 6020.